Sunday, September 18, 2011

Finances

posted by Jon

A quick financial update. Last year Knoll Street Beer Club pretty much broke even financially. Some of the money was used to purchase new equipment (carboy, fermenter, siphon, thermometer, hydrometer). Since we shouldn't have to buy any new equipment this year (unless I break more thermometers or hydrometers) we should have extra money to spend. One of the most expensive parts of brewing is the yeast, which is why I started harvesting yeast last year. However, my harvesting and reusing practices aren't doing a good enough job. Yeast doesn't survive very long. The last couple of yeast starters I've done have had a much longer lag time, since there is less viable yeast left. This is why I have decided to start a yeast library in my freezer. The initial cost would be about the same as a new fermenter and carboy (about $50) and we would be able to reuse yeast for years, as yeast that is properly cared for will survive freezing temperatures for at least a year. Look for posts later this year explaining my new library.

Gourdon will be brewed this afternoon. I have a big ol' pumpkin roasting in my oven as I write this. More details later.

No comments:

Post a Comment